Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Book Review - The Miracle of Mercy Land by River Jordan

This is the first book that I've read by River Jordan and I wasn't disappointed.  The cover to The Miracle of Mercy Land is beautiful itself, I totally pay attention to covers and even to the type of finish on the cover - I love the satiny feel to it!  Yes, I'm a book geek! 

The style of writing reminds me of the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, if you were to read it as a book in the language of the main character, Mrs. Threadgoode.  Folksy I would call it, and very quaint but yet beautiful and poetic.  An example: "My words might be nothing more than a ripple across the waters of time, but they are surely better than no record at all."

The story is set in the 1930's in Bay City on the warm gulf-waters of Southern Alabama. Mercy, the daughter of a traveling preacher, works at the local newspaper as Doc's (publisher and editor of the paper) assistant. 

Right away in Chapter One the story grabs your attention with the mention of a huge secret that falls into Mercy's lap but Doc tells Mercy not to tell a soul...Then in Chapter Two a mysterious book 'appears' in Doc's office that seems to be alive...alive with mystery and foreboding all at once!


Next, Doc announces that he is retiring.  How can he retire at a time like this? What about the book?  As the book's purpose become more clear, the important people in Mercy's life become more blurred. She must overcome her own fears to deal with the consequences. 

This is a fascinating story which takes you on a journey with Mercy and Doc and the people of Bay City, Alabama.  A story that makes you think about your own past and how you can change your future by the choices you make. 

I enjoyed the quaint personalities of this small town and the unique story line as well.

Disclaimer:  A copy of The Miracle of Mercy Land was sent to me from Waterbrook Press to read and review.  This is my own honest opinion of this book and I haven't been told to be either positive or negative.

No comments:

Book Trailers

Book Trailers

Enjoy These Music Videos

Enjoy These Music Videos

He Knows My Name by Francesca Battistelli

Light Up the Sky by The Afters

Stronger - Madisa

My Blog List